A SAFE PLACE 365 DAYS A YEAR
Mental Health Technician (MHT) Job Opportunity
Hours: part and full-time positions available
A mental health technician provides assistance and care to the youth with day-to-day needs who are residents at the home.
The job description of a mental health technician involves patience, empathy, strong interpersonal skills, and a detailed knowledge of best care practices. Staff will implement trauma informed cared in the interactions he/she has with the residents. Demonstrate and guide youth with their daily living skills, maintaining structure, and performing crisis intervention as needed. A mental health technician provides a number of services depending on the needs of the individual; examples of these might include taking youth to and from school or other appointments, assisting residents with daily living activities, prompting individuals on independent living or other emotionally focused issues.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities of a mental health technician:
• Helps maintain the structure of the Home by assisting residents throughout the day by following pre-arranged schedule
• Assists ensure residents follow recommended daily hygiene tasks.
- Requires assisting individuals with hygiene and providing personal care
• Ensures that individuals take their prescribed medications.
• Prepares meals that adhere to special dietary considerations.
• Assists with light cleaning and housework, and helps resident’s complete basic household tasks.
• Model and coach basic emotion regulation skills
- Works with youth and their school needs, providing support and assistance during daily activities.
• Meets with family to discuss needs of residents as discussed by treatment team.
• Organizes activities for residents.
- Supervise the physical and psychological well-being of each resident in his/her care.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Skills required include patience and compassion,
- Possesses excellent interpersonal skills.
• Works well with a variety of different individuals.
• Possesses detailed knowledge of patient’s condition, symptoms, and medications.
• Exhibits ability to think quickly and act calmly in an emergency.
• Demonstrates strong organizational, and time management skills
• Communicates clearly and effectively, strong verbal and written communication, possesses strong listening skills,
• Pays close attention to detail, has problem solving ability, with good conflict resolution.
• Demonstrates awareness of proper first aid and emergency response procedures
- Possesses physical stamina required to help individuals.
• Possesses emotional strength necessary to work with potentially traumatized youth
• Maintains friendly and open demeanor at all times.
Education and Experience
A mental health technician holds at least a high school diploma. Must be at least 21 years of age. Mental health technicians are also required to successfully complete all necessary training and background checks prior to working with the youth.
A mental health technician may spend the majority of his or her working hours working in a 8-1 ratio with youth or in smaller ratios depending on individual needs of the residents, focused on completing daily tasks. Other times will be spent transporting to school activities or other appointments outside of the home. Shifts vary, depending on the needs of the individuals – some direct care workers cover a first or second-eight hour shift, while others cover night shifts. The job of a direct care worker can be physically and emotionally taxing, especially when working with high-needs individuals.
Please complete the following application and fax your resume to: (620) 359-1675 Attn: Kim